About Me

My photo
After getting my first passport in 2006 and traveling to climb Kilimanjaro in Tanzania my life changed. I began the process of getting rid of all my possessions and traveling the world. Traveling to over 125 countries and all 7 continents, hostels have been my home. This "new life" has taught me what is important and it was NOT accumulating money or possessions. Traveling is the best education. I hope my blog will encourage others to travel. My World Tattoo was a way for me to express my PASSION FOR TRAVEL.

Search This Blog

Friday, November 6, 2020

TANZANIA, Moshi, Kilimanjaro

1ST OVERSEAS TRIP EVER, CLIMBING KILIMANJARO


March 7th and 8th, 2006

I left Houston, Texas on March 7th flying to Amsterdam. My connecting flight was delayed 2 hours and I arrived at Kilimanjaro Airport at 10 pm. I went to baggage claims and realized that my large climbing bag was not there. It was still in Amsterdam. They said it would be brought to the hotel tomorrow. Good thing I came one day early. Unfortunately there was another problem, I had failed to notify my hotel transportation of the complication and they had left. Now its about 11:30 pm and there are very few people and no marked taxis at the airport and I am 30 miles from the hotel in Moshi. Not a great was to start my 1st overseas trip. 2 men agreed to take me for $ 50 in this unmarked car. While riding down this dark highway with 2 strange men, I noticed the fuel gauge was almost on empty. I mentioned it and they did not respond. My heart rate increased and I began to have thoughts of being robbed or killed, no one knew where I was. Then all of a sudden we pulled off the road and stopped. My mind was racing. Then the driver honked the car horn and the lights of a gas station came on and we got gas for the remainder of the journey. I got to the hotel at 12:30 am. With 24 hours of traveling and an unusual "taxi" ride, I had never been so happy to climb into my bed. 

March 9, 2006

The hotel was beautiful but no air conditioning and electricity cuts off at 6am, so no fan after that. I got up the next day and met other climbers at lunch. People from Germany, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherland, England and every other country imaginable. Also talked with a group who had just been on Kilimanjaro. Some made it, some did not. I was told about 30% make it to summit. Some companies boast a 90% success ration but the guides say that never happens. You just don't know how altitude will affect you. Being in good shape is only one part of the equation.
























No comments:

Post a Comment